Monday, January 09, 2006

Busted Flowers

Had a chance to watch Jim Jarmusch's Broken Flowers on the small screen this weekend. Yeah, it's good. But don't watch it if you want everything spelled out for you. It's about life and stuff like that, you know, things that don't get answered or make sense. For example, many people have said to me, "Bill Murray as a Don Juan type, what gives?" Well, okay, but that's not really the issue. The film doesn't have a plot that neatly resolves. It's more about realizing what we've let go, where we're going, blah, blah. I know--I wouldn't watch it either based on what I just wrote.

But it's an endearing picture, and how can you beat the likes of Tilda Swinton (almost unrecognizable), Frances Conroy (could be unrecognizable but best-known to us riff-raff as the mom on Six Feet Under, and the only actor to whom I've ever written a fan letter), Sharon Stone (almost unrecognizable because she gives an unselfconscious performance), Chloe Sevigny (almost unrecognizable behind some glasses from which she gives Murray these sidelong glances that made me laugh out loud, although of the two of us in the room, I was the only one who thought she was hysterically funny), and Jessica Lange (almost unrecognizable because she has a HIDEOUS and SO DISAPPOINTING facelift)? A really dog-rocking soundtrack, and some other good supporting performances, and you've got a pretty decent way to spend your time. I admit that I fell asleep during the last five minutes and had to zip back a few scenes. But it was warm, the room was dark...these things happen.

An episode of bad behavior: At today's staff meeting, a perfectly lovely and delightful co-worker announced that she had seen The Constant Gardner, and that it was the best film she had seen in years. From the far end of the table, I said, "Really? I didn't like it at all." Was that necessary? No! I am a bad person. Compound that with the fact that immediately after that an announcement was made that there would be a brown-bag (why do I detest that term? I guess because it sounds chintzy and dull) lunch with the staff on my birthday to honor me, and I told them that I did not want to eat lunch with them on my birthday.

What kind of person says these boorish things?

Help me.

Head hanging down,
Lori

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright- which coworker bore the brunt of your tart reply? Initials will do, as I like to protect identities of the innocent. Although, they're guilty of liking a subpar movie, so we're in agreement there.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Eric. Lori. said...

Hey! Want to see a movie Sunday night (the 15th?). I emailed you too, but in case you don't see it...

(oh, the initials are AB, or SB)

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Film Reviews That Ate Paris