On DVD: Woody's latest
So, this morning as I'm drinking my usual latte and oj, I decide to quickly watch this DVD I rented last night, pretty sure it wouldn't interfere with my duty to take Ando out for a walk, since it got such generally terrible reviews, it would be a cinch to put it on pause and go about the tasks and activities I had assigned myself for today, which, being generally single, I find weekends tough if I haven't planned them out, but enough about that, that's between me and my non-existent therapist, so, anyway, I push 'play' and start to watch Melinda and Melinda, and guess what, I get engrossed in it, enough to ignore Andy's baleful looks for 100 minutes.
And after it's over, and I've gotten bit in the shin several times by the graying canine for not paying attention to him, I go to MRQE and read Roger Ebert's review, and sure, he likes pretty much anything these days, but he likes it too, and he asks the same question I'd already asked myself, which is, "If this had been done by someone NOT Woody Allen, it would have gotten much better reviews." And it's true. I thought it was light, fun, well-acted, and although it will not change my life, I really enjoyed it.
It's worth a rent--witty dialogue, and it sure makes me wish I lived in Manhattan and attended lots of dinner parties all the time. So, I say, if you like Woody, give it a shot. He's not in it, except as channeled by Will Ferrell, and it's not his best, but sure ain't his worse.
-L
And after it's over, and I've gotten bit in the shin several times by the graying canine for not paying attention to him, I go to MRQE and read Roger Ebert's review, and sure, he likes pretty much anything these days, but he likes it too, and he asks the same question I'd already asked myself, which is, "If this had been done by someone NOT Woody Allen, it would have gotten much better reviews." And it's true. I thought it was light, fun, well-acted, and although it will not change my life, I really enjoyed it.
It's worth a rent--witty dialogue, and it sure makes me wish I lived in Manhattan and attended lots of dinner parties all the time. So, I say, if you like Woody, give it a shot. He's not in it, except as channeled by Will Ferrell, and it's not his best, but sure ain't his worse.
-L

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home