Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Assault on Precinct 13. Sheesh.

Watched Assault on Precinct 13 last night, because frankly, I adore Ethan Hawke. Before Sunset was my favorite film of 2004, and Ethan was utterly charming, endearing, and heart-wrenching in Great Expectations (so, I'm a romantic, what of it?), so I looked forward to it. Plus, it had gotten pretty fair reviews, and while not my type of movie, Ethan was the draw.

How disappointing. Yes, it's suspenseful, but the story is totally improbable. There is a snowstorm on New Year's Eve, and a group of heavily armed people are outside, shooting, throwing explosives, etc. at the people inside, and NOBODY notices? If Precinct 13 was located in the warehouse district, it might make sense, but otherwise, it doesn't. And why would a police precinct be in an out-of-the-way location? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

And the violence IS pornographic--two people get shot in the head, and the camera lingers on their dead, dead faces. One man gets beaten and stabbed to death, and it goes on and on and on until he is quite dead. Someone else gets stabbed in the eye, yada, yada. Those theater doofuses from History of Violence must have loved this film.

One more thing: why does Laurence Fishburne always play the stoic wise man? At one point he had an overcoat on, put on his sunglasses, and I swear I waited for him to swoop up into the air with Keanu.

Ethan was edgy and cute, but not enough to make this film worth my time.

-Bitterly, Lori

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Film Reviews That Ate Paris