Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Pride and Pig Testicles

Hmm. I was there with Eric in the theater watching Pride/Pred, and he seemed to take the pig in stride. At least at the time.

I liked it (the film, not the pig, well the pig was fine, but really had such a small walk-on role it was difficult to get attached to him, although I know there are no small parts-just small actors, he did his best, I imagine, maybe he'll get a shot at a role if they do another sequel to Babe), except that I'm getting tired of constant remakes of that particular Austen novel. A few things about this version stand out to me:

1. The depiction of the extremes of the wealth of Darcy and the not-so-much of Elizabeth's family. I don't know if Austen wrote this scene or not, but toward the end of the film Elizabeth wanders around Darcy's house when she passes by with her aunt and uncle and they pay a visit--seeing the mansion he lived in made me realize completely why he might have had doubts about the suitability of Elizabeth's family in the world of Darcy and his ilk. Brenda Blethyn plays Elizabeth's mother, and as you might well imagine, she is annoying as hell. I was horrified to think of Brenda and her daughters giggling and screeching around Darcy's. Horrified, I tell you, and I knew it was only a movie. So I finally understood why Darcy was a mite...standoffish.

2. That actor who plays Darcy...woola. Not only was he smolderingly attractive by the end of the film (maybe I need to get out more), but he was coldly unattractive at the beginning. No, really. He was. I asked myself, seeing him in the opening scenes, how I was ever going to like him and want to see him with Elizabeth. I don't know what he did, but whatever he did, he did it well. I didn't care that much if he was with Elizabeth at the end, but he coulda done a Purple Rose of Cairo at my screening and maybe we could have at least gone out for a drink. Oh, wait. He was born three years before I graduated from high school.

3. Not so crazy about Keira Knightly in this film. Too flightly, and she has really small teeth, and I never noticed that before, and it bugged me. Before you call me superficial, get your own blog.

4. Donald Sutherland: yikes. He plays the longsuffering husband of Brenda and father of Elizabeth and the rest of the gaggle. But please, does he actually ever really act? All I seem to see him do is laugh that predictable laugh of his and raise his eyebrows. He was the weakest link in the film.

So, that's my take. I want to write about the other movies I saw this November, but for now I must go and savor the lastest episode of did I mention the best show on television Veronica Mars? Ah, I thought not.

Until next time, a shout-out to the little border collie wanna-be: La-la-lah!!!!
-Lori

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Film Reviews That Ate Paris